Dear members of Adair Park Today: as discussed in our December meeting, the draft 2021 budget is available for your review. Please find the budget at this link and submit your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Real estate firm J.Rich Atlanta has produced a video about the Adair Park neighborhood featuring several neighbors, including Adair Parkt Today president J. Lawrence Miller.
Visit https://www.jrichatlanta.com/welcome-to-adair-park/ for more.
Adair Park Today is introducing the Adair Park Housing Relief Fund, a community-led crowd fund aimed at preventing displacement and curbing the economic effects of COVID-19 in the neighborhood. Adair Park residents experiencing financial hardship will be able to apply directly to the Fund for aid, and we know our community near and far will step up to support them.
Please consider making a tax-deductible donation and spreading the word to family and friends – it could be the difference in preventing the next eviction or foreclosure. Thank you for your neighborly support! https://www.gofundme.com/f/adair-park-housing-relief-fund
JLawrence Miller, President, Adair Park
- “What level of accountability will officers have to the citizenry, either through the community policing board or directly through the chief and therefore to the citizens?”
- “I don’t think that the system has worked. What happened on camera [with Rayshard Brooks] is indicative of when the cameras are not running or when someone walks away and is not beat up or killed. Where is that accountability when there is either an ethical or actual violation of law? How about the police department just says that our policy is public safety and that doesn’t entail everything they take on right now?”
- “There is no trust. If a police officer comes to my door and I own my house, I’m not gonna let him in. In fact, I don’t want to talk to him. I’m much more like to say, ‘Go away.’ How about creating relationships with those of us in Adair Park, so those of us are more likely to recommend that our kids be a part of an organization like Police Athletic League?”
- “This is the way that we feel. Every voice, everybody, every home matters. It matters.”
Council Member Sheperd (District 12):
On behalf of the Adair Park Neighborhood I am submitting a formal request for information:
1- As to what legislation you have, are initiating, or plan on supporting with respect to Atlanta Police Department personnel oversight.2- What legislation you are initiating or supporting with respect to police reform. Specifically POLICE REFORM not criminal justice reform.3- Other than data collection, do you support the outcry from your constituents looking for changes to the blanket immunity APD officers receive because of the doctrine of Qualified Immunity?4- If you would not introduce or support a legislative plan to introduce a bill that would end the prohibition of suing police officers, then please explain why not?
Your constituents are looking for leadership from you, so as the elected President of your constituents who live in Adair Park please respond directly to the 4 points above.
Lawrence Miller, PresidentAdair Park Today, Inc.
June 2 5:55pm
I received your request and will respond very soon. Joyce Sheperd. Let me know if you need anything else
Dear Adair Park Family,
Between covid-19 and the racial unrest we see every day this has been and is a trying time for us. With covid-19 the neighborhood has banded tougher, reached out and in and are looking out for each other. It’s an incredible honor to be President and to see the love and caring being shared.
Adair Park was developed as an all white neighborhood that became, because of the Fair Housing Act of 1968, an historically Black neighborhood and is now an exceptionally diverse neighborhood of sexual orientations, cultures, and race.
We will not all agree on everything but we all agree that racism is an unacceptable evil that must be wiped out. I have read and listened to a significant number of conversations from and by our neighbors about their personal experiences with respect to the excesses of police brutality. There are also stories of police heroism.
Here is what I know about this neighborhood: When we can resume our porch parties we WILL knock on doors and make personal out reaches to our legacy neighbors. They have been here for decades and we WILL include them in our social activities. If they decide not to attend we will invite them for next time. Not making a personal one on one invite IS excluding them and I will not accept that. Your personal get togethers are your thing.
When we can again safely meet 1st Tuesday of each month we will knock on doors to invite neighbors. Please don’t say “we have to do better” and then continue with the old behaviors. That’s exclusionary. If you can’t understand this that’s OK. Do it anyway.
We are Historic Adair Park. We can do better so we will do better.
Love and Respect,
JLawrence Miller, President
Adair Park Today, Inc.
You can reach the president at email@example.com
Our annual community event, Porches and Pies festival, is being planned for Saturday, Oct. 10. We are monitoring the evolving circumstances created by Covid-19. As we continue to plan for a fun, safe event, we will follow all CDC and public health guidelines, and update partners and attendees of any changes to the event.
Up to date information will continue to be shared at our monthly meetings and porchesandpies.com. If you have any questions, please email Alyssa Thys at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your support!
Porches and Pies Planning Committee
Adair Park Today needs volunteers to support our efforts, particularly in communicating on behalf of the organization and leading our public safety intitiatives. Whether you are interested in volunteering on a committee, or leading one, we need you! Details on each role is excerpted from our bylaws. Reach out to Lawrence Miller, president of Adair Park Today, with your interest in volunteering.
The Communications Coordinator will create all official communications and public relations internal and external to Adair Park Today, Inc. A Communications Coordinator shall:
- Manage and send official correspondence on behalf of Adair Park Today, Inc. as requested by the President.
- Assist the Recording Secretary of the Corporation and serve in the position of Recording Secretary in his/her absence.
- Manage updates on the Adair Park Today website.
- Create and manage distribution of the neighborhood newsletter.
Pubic Safety Committee:
The Public Safety committee will maintain dialogue and partner with the Atlanta Police Department to enable reduction of crime and vagrancy in Adair Park.
1. Committee members will determine the tasks and projects achievable during the year, and may maintain a Neighborhood Watch program as resources allow.
2. Committee members will identify and implement pedestrian safety projects such as traffic calming, crosswalks, signage, or speed monitoring.
3. Other duties may include: acquiring Neighborhood Watch signage; organizing public safety activities such as National Night Out, and communicating updates about or participating in CourtWatch.
Not ready to lead? We still need committee members!
Reach out to Lawrence Miller, president of Adair Park Today, with your interest in volunteering.
All Adair Park neighbors are invited to come have their photograph taken by artist Jamani Chavis. The photos will be displayed in the Pittsburgh Yards development at 352 University Ave.
Saturday, Jan. 25 from 9 – 11 a.m
Bonnie Brae Park
The art installation will feature residents from across NPU-V. We need YOU to make sure Adair Park’s people and personality is reflected in this exhibit!
How to Prepare: JUST BE YOU!
Come as you are! Don’t fret about dressing up, just grab your family (or a neighbor!) and stop by for a photo! Please spread the word to our senior neighbors who may not be connected to Adair Park Today online.
King Williams and Dr. Renée Skeete sat down with with Adam Parker, a Director at Carter USA on their latest rehab project, The MET, here in Adair Park, as well as other topics including Summerhill. Read more on Saporta Report >