As a Capitol View resident of nearly 20 years, Neda Abghari has often ventured into nearby Adair Park, gazed upon the Academic Gothic architecture of George W. Adair School, and wondered what it used to be, below the surface, on a deeper level than classroom education.
Built in 1912, the school was the community’s central hub for decades, a relic of a time before school cafeterias, when kids were sent home for lunch each day, laughing, teasing, chasing each other en route. The school closed about 45 years ago, as surrounding neighborhoods tumbled into blight, and the building functioned as central offices and meeting space for Atlanta Public Schools until the roof sprung leaks in the 1990s—an issue that six layers of tarps failed to resolve. Abghari’s visits to the old school in its most exposed, dank, and weather-ravaged state were disheartening. Read more >